Ian Whatmore has resigned as the chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) with immediate effect. Whatmore said, citing health reasons, that the role has had a personal impact on him during the coronavirus pandemic. According to the ECB, its current vice president Barry O’Brien will take over as interim chairman until a permanent chairman is appointed.
Whatmore said in a statement, “I have to say with great regret that I am stepping down as chairman of the ECB.” I am doing this keeping in mind my well being and the sport that I love. I was appointed to this position during the Corona pandemic. The need of the hour during Corona is dramatically different from all our original expectations, which has made a personal impact on me. In view of this the Board and I think the ECB will be better served by a new chairman after the Corona pandemic. My resignation now will give the board time until the end of the season to find a new president to support cricket through the challenges of the 2022 season and beyond.
ECB Chair Ian Watmore is to step down with immediate effect.
— England and Wales Cricket Board (@ECB_cricket) October 7, 2021
The former ECB chairman said, ‘I also retired last month in the Civil Services Commission after five years and recently became a grandfather. Now I want to retire completely from work. Whatmore served in the ECB for only one year, while the appointment is for a five-year term. He formally replaced the previous chairman Colin Graves on 1 December 2020.