New Delhi. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has made a big mistake. A glitch in the ICC website snatched Australia’s lead and made India momentarily world No. 1 in Tests. Instead of Australia’s 126 points, the ICC awarded Rohit Sharma & Co. 115 rating points, making them the new world No.1. At the same time, Australia showed only 111 points instead of 126. However, shortly after, the ICC rectified its mistake and allowed Australia to become number 1 again.
This mistake put India on top of the points table for a moment, but after rectifying the mistake, India came at number 2. However, India can also become number 1, but it will have to beat Australia in the four-match Test series at home. Australia is about to tour India to play a four-match Test series (Border Gavaskar Trophy) starting from 9 February.
Let us tell you that India had recently won 2-0 in the Test series away from home against the neighboring country Bangladesh. Adding to this, India is yet to confirm its place in the ICC World Test Championship 2021-23. On the other hand, with back-to-back wins against England, West Indies and South Africa, the Australia cricket team has sealed its place in the final of the ICC event.
ICC accidentally made India number 1 in Test rankings
India reached number 2 after correcting the mistake
India currently ranks second behind Australia. In a match between two of the best Test teams in the world, India will have a chance to regain the number one spot in the world. How can India reach world number 1 in Tests?
1. Australia is at the first position in the ICC Test rankings with 126 rating points.
2. India is second in the table with 115 rating points and has a good chance to grab the first position.
3. If India defeats Australia by 2-0 or 3-1, then it can become number 1 in ICC Test rankings by beating Australia.
4. Even a 1-1 or 1-0 win for India will not be enough to overtake Australia.
5. India also has an opportunity to seal its place for the final match in the World Test Championship.
FIRST PUBLISHED : January 17, 2023, 17:22 IST