Navdeep Saini’s trouble increased as soon as he came to Team India
Saini will not play for English county team Worcestershire
New Delhi. Navdeep Saini, who made a comeback to the Indian Test team, will miss three matches for his English county team Worcestershire in July as it clashes with the dates of the Test series in the West Indies. India will play its first Test match in Dominica from 12 to 16 July while the second and final match will be in Jamaica from 20 to 24 July. A source in the Board of Cricket in India (BCCI) said on the condition of confidentiality, ‘There is always a condition for any international player in county cricket that on selection in the national team, the county team has to release him. In such a situation, Worcestershire will not be able to take advantage of Saini’s services during that time.
Worcestershire had announced the deal with Saini on Friday itself, saying that he would be with the team till the end of July and he would be their second overseas player. The 30-year-old Saini is set to represent Worcestershire in Sunday’s match against Derbyshire. According to a statement released from the club, “Worcestershire have signed Indian fast bowler Navdeep Saini as their second foreign player in the ‘LV Insurance County Championship’ for four matches till the end of July.”
After returning to the Indian team, Saini will not be available for Worcestershire’s matches against Yorkshire from 10 to 13 July, Leicestershire from 19 to 22 July and Gloucestershire from 26 to 29 July. Saini, who has played in all three formats (two Tests, eight ODIs and T20 Internationals) for the Indian team, represented Kent for a brief stint last season. He then took 11 wickets in two matches of the championship.
In a statement released from the club, Saini said, “I know that Indian players like Kapil Dev, Zaheer Khan and Ravichandran Ashwin have previously played for Worcestershire and achieved success.” He has taken 174 wickets in 60 matches in the first class.
FIRST PUBLISHED : June 23, 2023, 20:05 IST